Indian Lamb Biryani
|1/3 cup grated unsweetened coconut|
|1 cup milk|
|1 tsp saffron, crushed|
|1 cup hot chicken stock|
|10 tbs butter|
|3 medium onions, chopped|
|4 tsp kosher salt|
|2 tsp ground cumin|
|2 tsp fresh ginger, grated|
|1 tsp turmeric|
|1 tsp ground coriander|
|1/4 tsp ground cloves|
|1/2 tsp crushed cardamom seed|
|1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes|
|1 tsp black pepper|
|2 cups basmati rice|
|2 cups boiling water|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 lbs boneless lamb, all fat removed, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|2 cups plain yogurt|
|juice of 1 lime|
|1/2 cup dark raisins|
|1/2 cup blanched cashews|
A biryani is the Indian equivalent of our casserole, in which several foods are cooked together to make a one dish meal. This has a lot of ingredients, but the end result is well worth it.
- Soak the coconut in milk for 1 hour. Strain milk through a fine strainer and set aside. Discard the coconut.
- Soak the saffron in hot stock for 1 hour, then set aside.
- In a large pot heat 6 tbs of butter, add 2 of the chopped onions, 2 tsp salt, cumin, ginger, turmeric, coriander, cloves, cardamom, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes and 1 tsp black pepper.
- Saute for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add rice and saute for 5 minutes more, stirring to combine.
- Add boiling water, stir, cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered.
- In a large frying pan heat 4 more tbs of butter, add 1 chopped onion, garlic, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes 2 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Turn up heat to medium, add lamb cubes, and brown quickly on all sides.
- Add the yogurt and lime juice and stir to blend.
- To assemble, spread 1/3 of the rice mixture on the bottom of a oven proof casserole.
- Spread 1/2 of the lamb mixture on top of the rice, then sprinkle with 1/2 of the raisins and 1/2 ov the nuts.
- Add another 1/3 of the rice, then cover with the remaining meat, then add remaining raisins and nuts and top with remaining rice.
- Pour coconut milk and saffron stock mixture into the casserole.
- Cover and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 1 hour.