Italian Fish Stew
- 2 lbs roma tomatoes
- large pinch saffron threads
- 2 and 1/2 lbs mixed fish, (snapper, monkfish, cod, sol etc.)
- 20 large shrimp in shells
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 roasted red peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 and 1/4 cups dry white wine
- 1 and 1/4 cups shrimp or fish stock
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 tbs fresh basil, chopped
- 20 mussels, scrubbed
- Crusty bread for serving
- fresh parsley sprigs for garnish
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Peel, remove seeds and chop the tomatoes.
- Soak the saffron in a little boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the fish into large bite size pieces, and peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the tails on.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and add the onion, garlic and roasted red peppers. Gently saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and anchovies and stir to break them up.
- Add the wine and stock, and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and add the bay leaves and half of the basil. Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Strain the saffron water into the mixture,
- Add the fish, shrimp and mussels and cook until the mussels open. 5-7 minutes
- Discard the bay leaves and any unopened mussels
- Serve with crusty bread.