Italian Fish Stew
|2 lbs roma tomatoes|
|large pinch saffron threads|
|2 and 1/2 lbs mixed fish, (snapper, monkfish, cod, sol etc.)|
|20 large shrimp in shells|
|1/2 cup olive oil|
|2 large onions, minced|
|5 garlic cloves, minced|
|4 roasted red peppers, drained and cut into strips|
|4 anchovy fillets|
|1 and 1/4 cups dry white wine|
|1 and 1/4 cups shrimp or fish stock|
|4 bay leaves|
|6 tbs fresh basil, chopped|
|20 mussels, scrubbed|
|Crusty bread for serving|
|fresh parsley sprigs for garnish|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- Peel, remove seeds and chop the tomatoes.
- Soak the saffron in a little boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the fish into large bite size pieces, and peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the tails on.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and add the onion, garlic and roasted red peppers. Gently saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and anchovies and stir to break them up.
- Add the wine and stock, and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and add the bay leaves and half of the basil. Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Strain the saffron water into the mixture,
- Add the fish, shrimp and mussels and cook until the mussels open. 5-7 minutes
- Discard the bay leaves and any unopened mussels
- Serve with crusty bread.