Italian Stuffed Onions
- 4 large onions
- kosher salt
- 2 oz mortadella
- 6 oz cooked beets
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbs bread crumbs
- 4 tbs fresh Parmesan cheese
- 10 tbs extra virgin olive oil, divided
- black pepper
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add salt and the onions and cook for 15 minutes.
- Drain, then set the onions aside to cool.
- Slice each onion into 1/2 horizontally and remove some of the inner layers from each half to make 8 onion shells.
- Chopp the removed onion layers, the mortadella, and beets.
- Add them to a bowl together with the eggs, bread crumbs, Parmesan and 4 tbs of olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Fill the onion shells with the mortadella mixture and arrange them in an oven safe baking dish.
- Cover with the tomatoes, drizzle with the remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 40 minutes.