Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup
- 2 lbs of stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 large onions
- 1 large chunk of ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 allspice berries
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 clove
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3 large sprigs thyme
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 large new potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1/4 lb kale, stems removed and chopped
This is a spicy soup that has origins that go all the way back to Africa. This version is made with stewing beef.
- Put the first nine ingredients in a large pot then season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil the reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes uncovered. Slim off any residue that comes to the surface.
- Add the chili, coconut milk and thyme then cook for 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes and cook for another 1/2 hour.
- Add the kale and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.