Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup
|2 lbs of stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|2 cups beef stock|
|2 large onions|
|1 large chunk of ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks|
|2 bay leaves|
|5 allspice berries|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 stick cinnamon|
|1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and minced|
|2 cups coconut milk|
|3 large sprigs thyme|
|2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks|
|4 large new potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks|
|1/4 lb kale, stems removed and chopped|
This is a spicy soup that has origins that go all the way back to Africa. This version is made with stewing beef.
- Put the first nine ingredients in a large pot then season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil the reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes uncovered. Slim off any residue that comes to the surface.
- Add the chili, coconut milk and thyme then cook for 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes and cook for another 1/2 hour.
- Add the kale and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.