- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup bottled salsa
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup green olives with pimentos, chopped
- 2 tbs dark brown sugar
- 2 packages (15oz) each, refrigerated ready made pie dough
- 1 large egg beaten with 2 tbs of milk
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
These mini empanadas are perfect for a cocktail party or buffet.
- Add the meat and onion and garlic to a large non stick frying pan over medium heat. Stir until meat is browned. About 10 minutes.
- Stir in salsa, olives, raisins, brown sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until thick, then cool completely.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll pie dough to about 1/16 of an inch thick.
- Cut 12 (3 inch) circles. Lightly paint the edges of each circle with water.
- Scoop about 1 tbs of filling onto each circle and fold over and press the edges together with a fork, making sure to seal tightly.
- Put the empanadas on a lightly greased baking sheet and brush the tops with egg-milk mixture.
- Repeat to make about 30 pieces.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven until golden. About 15-18 minutes.
- Alternatively you may deep fry the empanadas in 350 degree oil, just eliminate the egg and milk wash.