Mussels and Clams with Tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 lb ripe tomatoes
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
- 2 lbs mussels, scrubbed
- 1 lb little neck clams scrubbed
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Mince the onion and chop the tomatoes roughly.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and cook the garlic and onion until soft.
- Add the wine, tomatoes, lemon rind and half of the parsley. Bring to a boil.
- Add the mussels and clams to the pan, cover, and cook over high heat until the mussels and clams are open. About 5 minutes, shaking the pan frequently. Discard any clams or mussels that do not open.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and transfer to large bowls and sprinkle with remaining parsley.
- Serve with crusty bread for dipping.