Mussels and Clams with Tomatoes
|1 small onion|
|1/2 lb ripe tomatoes|
|2 tbs butter|
|2 large garlic cloves, minced|
|3/4 cup dry white wine|
|grated rind of 1 lemon|
|2 tbs chopped parsley|
|2 lbs mussels, scrubbed|
|1 lb little neck clams scrubbed|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- Mince the onion and chop the tomatoes roughly.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and cook the garlic and onion until soft.
- Add the wine, tomatoes, lemon rind and half of the parsley. Bring to a boil.
- Add the mussels and clams to the pan, cover, and cook over high heat until the mussels and clams are open. About 5 minutes, shaking the pan frequently. Discard any clams or mussels that do not open.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and transfer to large bowls and sprinkle with remaining parsley.
- Serve with crusty bread for dipping.