Oxtail and Lentil Casserole
|5 lbs oxtail, cut up|
|1/4 cup seasoned flour|
|1 lb carrots, peeled|
|1 lb parsnips, peeled|
|1 lb onions, peeled|
|2-3 tbs oil|
|10 cups beef stock|
|2 tbs tomato paste|
|1 tbs dry mixed herbs|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/2 cup red lentils|
- Toss the chunks of oxtail in seasoned flour to coat evenly. Shake off excess.
- Cut carrots and parsnips into large fingers and cut the onions into chunks.
- Heat a little oil in each of two large flameproof casserole’s and brown the oxtail pieces, in batches on all sides. Season with a little salt and pepper.Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add the vegetables to the casserole and brown lightly, then remove.
- Add the stock, tomato paste, dried mixed herbs then season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then add the meat back.
- Cover the casserole and cook in a preheated 325 degree oven for about 2 hours.
- Stir in the lentils, re-cover and cook until the meat is very tender. About 1 hour more.
- Cool the casserole, the refrigerate overnight.
- Slim off all the fat on the surface and reheat on top of the stove.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.