Oxtail and Lentil Casserole
|5 lbs oxtail, cut up|
|1/4 cup seasoned flour|
|1 lb carrots, peeled|
|1 lb parsnips, peeled|
|1 lb onions|
|2-3 tbs canola oil|
|10 cups beef stock|
|2 tbs tomato paste|
|1 tbs dried mixed herbs|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/2 cup red lentils|
This technique will give you deliciously tender meat and wonderfully savory highlights with the flavors of tender oxtails, carrots, parsnips and onions.
- Trim the fat from the oxtail, then toss the chunks in seasoned flour to coat evenly.
- cut the carrots and parsnips into large fingers, then cut the onions into chunks.
- Heat a little oil en each of two large flameproof casserole’s and brown the oxtail pieces, in batches on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add the vegetables to the casseroles and brown lightly, then remove.
- Add the stock, tomato paste, mixed herbs and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil and add the meat and then the vegetables.
- Cover the pots tightly and cook in a preheated 325 degree oven for about 2 hours.