Oysters and Crab Meat with Newburg Sauce
- Newburg Sauce:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 tbs flour
- 8 tbs flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cream
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup brandy
- Oysters and Crabmeat:
- 24 oysters, in shell
- 1 lb blackfin crabmeat
- 1 cup newburg sauce
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 3 strips cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- dash worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbs melted butter
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 6 strips uncooked bacon, quartered
- In a saute pan, melt butter then stir in flour and mix well, stirring constantly.
- After about 3-4 minutes, slowly add in the milk and cream and continue to stir until very smooth.
- Add brandy and combine well.
- Set aside.
Oysters and Crab meat:
- Open oysters, letting oysters remain in deep half of shell.
- Place oysters on a shallow baking pan.
- Remove cartilage from crabmeat and put in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl mix together 1 cup of the newberg sauce, sherry, chopped bacon, garlic powder and worcestershire sauce.
- Pour sauce over crabmeat and mix gently, being careful not to break crab lumps.
- Fill each oyster with approximately 1 tbs of the crab mixture.
- Mix melted butter with bread crumbs and paprika and sprinkle over oysters.
- Place a piece of bacon on top of each oyster and bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly and the bacon is done. About 20-25 minutes.