Oysters and Crab Meat with Newburg Sauce
|1/2 cup butter|
|8 tbs flour|
|8 tbs flour|
|2 cups milk|
|2 cups cream|
|4 eggs beaten|
|1/2 cup brandy|
|Oysters and Crabmeat:|
|24 oysters, in shell|
|1 lb blackfin crabmeat|
|1 cup newburg sauce|
|1/4 cup sherry|
|3 strips cooked bacon, chopped|
|1/4 tsp garlic powder|
|dash worcestershire sauce|
|3 tbs melted butter|
|1 cup bread crumbs|
|1/4 cup paprika|
|6 strips uncooked bacon, quartered|
- In a saute pan, melt butter then stir in flour and mix well, stirring constantly.
- After about 3-4 minutes, slowly add in the milk and cream and continue to stir until very smooth.
- Add brandy and combine well.
- Set aside.
Oysters and Crab meat:
- Open oysters, letting oysters remain in deep half of shell.
- Place oysters on a shallow baking pan.
- Remove cartilage from crabmeat and put in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl mix together 1 cup of the newberg sauce, sherry, chopped bacon, garlic powder and worcestershire sauce.
- Pour sauce over crabmeat and mix gently, being careful not to break crab lumps.
- Fill each oyster with approximately 1 tbs of the crab mixture.
- Mix melted butter with bread crumbs and paprika and sprinkle over oysters.
- Place a piece of bacon on top of each oyster and bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly and the bacon is done. About 20-25 minutes.