Persian Stuffed Chicken
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup Bulgur wheat
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, minced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 (4lb) roasting chicken
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 tbs sesame seeds
The skin of the chicken is glazed with honey and sesame seeds and the stuffing is fragrant with cinnamon and fruit.
- In a medium pan heat 2 tbs butter over moderate heat. Add the onions and saute’, stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Add the bulgur wheat and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add cinnamon, stock, tomato sauce, apricots, raisins,salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour
- Wash chicken and dry inside and out.
- In a small saucepan heat honey along with 2 tbs of butter, and a dash of salt over low heat until butter melts.
- Stuff chicken with the bulgar-fruit mixture.
- Place in a roasting pan, then brush chicken thoroughly with the honey butter mixture.
- Roast in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through..
- Brush frequently with with the reserved honey butter mixture while roasting.
- After 1 hour, baste the chicken with the honey butter mixture and drippings from the pan.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds all over the surface of the chicken.
- Return to the oven for 15 minutes more.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.