Pickled Mushroom Appetizers
|3 lbs small button mushrooms|
|2 medium onions, thinly sliced|
|1/2 cup white vinegar|
|3 tsp kosher salt|
|1 bay leaf|
|1/2 tsp black peppercorns|
|1 tsp olive oil|
- Place mushrooms in a large saucepan along with about 1 quart of water.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain and reserve liquid.
- In a 1 quart jar or container place mushrooms and onions in layers.
- In a saucepan combine vinegar, mushroom liquid, salt, bay leaf, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the mushrooms and onions.
- Add the olive oil to the jar, allowing it to float on top.
- Cover and chill for at least 24 hours or for as long as 1 week.
- To serve place on a combination with other vegetables and serve with wooden toothpicks.