- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 and 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- Tomato Sauce:
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 (28oz) can tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- rosemary to taste
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- White Sauce:
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tbs flour
- 1/2 cup milk
This creole standard is special because of the combination of two sauces.
- For the tomato sauce, saute garlic in olive oil. Add the onions, celery and green pepper and cook until very soft.
- Mash tomatoes and add to mixture. Add bay leaf and rosemary and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the white sauce, melt butter in a saucepan and whisk in the flour.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and blend until smooth, stirring constantly.
- Combine the tomato and white sauces and blend well.
- Add the shrimp to the sauces and using medium heat cook for about 5 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Serve over rice.