Snails with Herb Butter
- 1 can (18) extra large snails
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chives, chopped
- 1 tbs parsley, chopped
- 18 clean dry snail shells (available at gourmet grocery stores)
- 6-8 tbs Parmesan cheese
This is the classic French method for cooking snails.
- Drain shells, rinse then drain thoroughly on paper towels.
- Stir together the butter, garlic, chives and parsley until well blended.
- Put about 1 tsp of the butter mixture in each shell, then tuck in a snail.
- Seal each snail with more of the butter mixture,
- Add some grated cheese on top of each snail and press in.
- Place snails, cheese side up in a baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 500 degree oven for about 5 minutes or until the butter has melted and the cheese is lightly browned.
- Serve hot along with crusty bread.