Snails with Herb Butter
|1 can (18) extra large snails|
|1/2 cup butter, softened|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 tsp chives, chopped|
|1 tbs parsley, chopped|
|18 clean dry snail shells (available at gourmet grocery stores)|
|6-8 tbs Parmesan cheese|
This is the classic French method for cooking snails.
- Drain shells, rinse then drain thoroughly on paper towels.
- Stir together the butter, garlic, chives and parsley until well blended.
- Put about 1 tsp of the butter mixture in each shell, then tuck in a snail.
- Seal each snail with more of the butter mixture,
- Add some grated cheese on top of each snail and press in.
- Place snails, cheese side up in a baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 500 degree oven for about 5 minutes or until the butter has melted and the cheese is lightly browned.
- Serve hot along with crusty bread.