Steak Au Poivre
- 4 fillet mignons
- 4 tbs coarsely cracked black peppercorns
- 8 oz rich veal (brown) stock
- 2 oz brandy
- 2 oz unsalted butter
- 1 oz vegetable oil
- 1 oz heavy cream
- kosher salt to taste
This is a classical preparation of French peppered steak.
- Remove fillets from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking and allow them to come to room temperature.
- Coat on all sides with the cracked black pepper and season lightly with salt.
- Place the fillets in a very hot buttered pan and sear for about 4 minutes on each side, depending on thickness. Turn only once.
- Remove fillets from the pan and place on a warm plate.
- Drain off any excess grease from pan, but do not wipe or rinse.
- Pour brandy into pan and put back on the heat and allow to flame.
- Let brandy burn off and reduce until almost a syrup, then add the stock.
- Ler stock boil and reduce by 1/3.
- Add heavy cream and bring almost to a boil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and gently whisk in butter.
- Pour sauce over fillets then serve.