Steak Au Poivre
|4 fillet mignons|
|4 tbs coarsely cracked black peppercorns|
|8 oz rich veal (brown) stock|
|2 oz brandy|
|2 oz unsalted butter|
|1 oz vegetable oil|
|1 oz heavy cream|
|kosher salt to taste|
This is a classical preparation of French peppered steak.
- Remove fillets from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking and allow them to come to room temperature.
- Coat on all sides with the cracked black pepper and season lightly with salt.
- Place the fillets in a very hot buttered pan and sear for about 4 minutes on each side, depending on thickness. Turn only once.
- Remove fillets from the pan and place on a warm plate.
- Drain off any excess grease from pan, but do not wipe or rinse.
- Pour brandy into pan and put back on the heat and allow to flame.
- Let brandy burn off and reduce until almost a syrup, then add the stock.
- Ler stock boil and reduce by 1/3.
- Add heavy cream and bring almost to a boil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and gently whisk in butter.
- Pour sauce over fillets then serve.