Strawberry Spinach Salad
- 10 oz fresh spinach, stems removed
- 1 cup celery, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 pint of fresh strawberries, halved
- Caramelized Pecans:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup pecans
- Poppy Seed Dressing:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 2/3 cup wine vinegar
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 tbs poppy seeds
This salad is dressed with a poppy seed dressing along with caramelized pecans.
- To prepare the pecans, combine the sugar and pecans in a heavy frying pan. Slowly cook until all the sugar has melted onto the pecans and they are browned.
- Place them on a foil covered baking sheet to cool.
- To make the dressing, combine sugar, salt, mustard, vinegar and scallions in a blender or food processor. While running slowly drizzle in the oil.
- Place in a container and add the poppy seeds, cover and refrigerate.
- Combine the spinach, celery, halved strawberries and pecans,
- Lightly coat with the dressing and toss.