The Biloxi Grilled Cheese Sandwich
|2 tbs kosher salt|
|2 tbs smoked paprika|
|2 tbs brown sugar|
|1 tsp cayenne pepper|
|1 tbs black pepper|
|1 3-5 lb pork butt|
|1/2 lb smoked bacon|
|1 bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce|
|2 cups water|
|1 head red or green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced|
|1 cup mayonnaise|
|1 tsp celery seeds|
|2 tsp mustard seeds|
|1 tbs horseradish|
|juice of 1 lemon|
|1/4 cup white or apple cider vinegar|
|1/4 cup sugar|
|2 carrots peeled and shredded|
|6 tbs butter, at room temperature|
|8 slices buttermilk bread|
|2-3 pickles, sliced|
|1 onion, sliced about 1/8" thick|
This grilled cheese is the courtesy of the Wisconsin Grilled Cheese Academy. It contains Wisconsin Fontina cheese, pulled pork BBQ, creamy coleslaw on buttermilk white bread.
- Mix kosher salt, smoked paprika, brown sugar, cayenne and black pepper and rub all over the outside of the pork butt.
- Wrap pork with plastic wrap then enclose in a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Heat a large oven safe pot over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy.
- Add the barbecue sauce and water to bacon in pot and bring to a simmer.
- Remove pork butt from bag and plastic wrap and add to the pot.
- return to a simmer, cover pot and place in oven for about 4 hours or until pork is fork tender and pulls apart easily. Turn meat once during cooking time.
- To prepare the pork let the meat stand for 20-30 minutes. Using two forks, pull the meat apart until it is shredded. Leave in sauce until ready to serve.
- To make coleslaw, lightly salt cabbage and place in a colander.
- Drain in the sink for a few hours.
- Rinse well under cold water and drain well.
- Mix the mayonnaise, celery seeds, mustard seeds, horseradish, lemon juice, vinegar and sugar in a bowl, then season with salt and pepper.
- Mix with cabbage and shredded carrots.
- Heat griddle or a large saute pan over medium heat.
- butter one side of each bread slice.
- Place 4 slices, butter side down on the griddle and top each with 1 slice of Fontina some shredded bbq pork, coleslaw, pickles, onion slices and another slice of Fontina.
- Place 1 slice of bread on top of each, butter side up, and grill until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, turning once during grilling.