The Buffalo Bill Grilled Cheese Sandwich
|4 boneless chicken breasts|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 cup buttermilk|
|1 cup flour|
|1 cup Franks spicy buffalo sauce|
|canola oil for frying|
|8 slices sourdough bread|
|6 tbs butter, at room temperature|
|4 slices Wisconsin Monterey Jack cheese|
|2/3 cup Wisconsin Blue cheese, crumbled|
|2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded|
|Hot sport peppers (optional)|
This recipe is adapted from the Wisconsin Grilled Cheese Academy. It is a boneless chicken breast, smothered in spicy buffalo sauce, topped with Wisconsin Monterey Jack and blue cheese.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place in a zip lock bag. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Place flour on a plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour wing sauce into a bowl.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add canola oil to about an 1 inch depth and heat to 350 degrees.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the bag and roll in the flour to coat. Knock off excess flour.
- Fry the chicken breasts in the hot oil and fry until golden and crispy, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken breasts from skillet with tongs and add then in the bowl of hot sauce and coat evenly. Reserve them on a plate.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- butter one side of each bread slice, then place 4 slices, butter side down in skillet and top each with 1 slice of Monterey Jack, 1 chicken breast, 1 oz of blue cheese crumbles, and 1/2 cup of shredded lettuce.
- Top each sandwich with another piece of the bread, butter side up, and grill, turning once until the bread is golden and cheese melts.
- Serve with sport peppers.