The Mozzarella and Pepperoni Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 7 tbs butter at room temperature, divided
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb shiitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 focaccia style rolls, split
- 1 lb of fresh mozzarella, sliced into 8 slices
- 16 slices pepperoni
- 1/2 cup black olive slices
- 6-8 pepperoncini peppers, halved
- 1/4 lb marinated sun dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
This recipe is courtesy of the Wisconsin Grilled Cheese Academy It contains fresh mozzarella, pepperoni, sun dried tomatoes shiitake mushrooms and black olives.
- Mix 6 tbs butter with the garlic until light and smooth.
- Heat a saute pan over high heat and add the olive oil, 1 tbs butter and mushrooms. Season with a little salt and pepper and saute for about 5 minutes using medium heat.
- Spread the cut sides of the rolls with garlic butter, then heat a large skillet and place roll bottoms in the pan, butter side down. Grill until golden brown.
- Flip roll bottoms and layer each bottom with 4 slices of fresh mozzarella, 4 slices pepperoni, some black olive slices, 3-4 pepperoncini halves, some sauteed mushrooms and about 1 ounce of sun dried tomatoes.
- Add 4 more slices of mozzarella and place roll tops over.
- Grill until cheese is melted and bread is crisp and golden, turning sandwiches over once during grilling.