Chesapeake Bay Crab Chowder
- 2 lbs lump crabmeat, picked over
- 4 cups fish, shrimp stock or clam juice or a combination of the three
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 and 1/2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 tbs fresh parsley chopped
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 tbs Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 1/4 cup salt pork, diced
- Kosher salt and white pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan or stockpot add the salt pork and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and celery and continue to saute for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the fish or shrimp stock, add the potatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes or until almost tender .
- Add the milk and half and half and butter and continue to simmer. Do not boil.
- Add the Worcestershire, Old Bay.
- Taste for seasoning and reason with salt and white pepper if necessary.
- Add the crabmeat and warm through, stirring gently so as not to break up the lumps.
- Serve hot and garnish with parsley.