Chesapeake Bay Crab Chowder
|2 lbs lump crabmeat, picked over|
|4 cups fish, shrimp stock or clam juice or a combination of the three|
|3 cups milk|
|1 cup half and half|
|1 and 1/2 cups celery, chopped|
|2 cups onion, chopped|
|1 tbs fresh parsley chopped|
|1 stick unsalted butter|
|1 tbs Old Bay seasoning|
|1 tbs Worcestershire sauce|
|4 cups diced potatoes|
|1/4 cup salt pork, diced|
|Kosher salt and white pepper to taste|
- In a large saucepan or stockpot add the salt pork and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and celery and continue to saute for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the fish or shrimp stock, add the potatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes or until almost tender .
- Add the milk and half and half and butter and continue to simmer. Do not boil.
- Add the Worcestershire, Old Bay.
- Taste for seasoning and reason with salt and white pepper if necessary.
- Add the crabmeat and warm through, stirring gently so as not to break up the lumps.
- Serve hot and garnish with parsley.