Chinese Jellyfish Salad
- 1/2 lb of jellyfish
- 2 tbs rice vinegar
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp chopped chili peppers
Jellyfish salad is commonplace in chinese cuisine. It has a surprisingly crunchy texture and delicious taste. This recipe will give you a flavor profile of sweet, salty and sour. The jellyfish are available at Asian markets sometimes fresh and also salted.
- Rinse the salt off the jellyfish and cut into long shreds about 1/4 inch thick.
- Soak the jellyfish shreds in a large bowl filled with cool water overnight, changing the water several times until most of the salt is gone and the jelly fish tastes neutral.
- Drain out the water and put jelly fish back into a large bowl.
- Pour enough boiling water over jellyfish to cover and let sit for 1 minute. This will help to make the jelly fish crunchy.
- Drain the jellyfish and plunge into ice cold water to stop cooking.
- Once jellyfish is cook drain completely.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, sesame oil and chili peppers.
- Mix and taste, then adjust seasoning if necessary.
- The flavor should be sweet, salty and sour.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour before serving.