Cuban Picadillo (Beef Hash)
|1/4 cup annatto oil (2 tbs annatto powder mixed with 1/4 cup vegetable oil)|
|1 large onion, minced|
|1 large green pepper, seeded and minced|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced|
|2 lbs ground chuck|
|2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 2 cups)|
|1 tsp ground cumin|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/2 cup golden raisins|
|1/4 cup pimento stuffed green olives, chopped|
|1 tbs capers|
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion, bell pepper, garlic, hot pepper until the onion is tender but not browned.
- Add the meat and cook, stirring and breaking it up until it has lost it’s color.
- Add the tomatoes, cumin, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the raisins, mix thoroughly and simmer gently, uncovered until cooked about 20 minutes.
- Add the olives and capers, and cook for a few minutes longer.
- Serve with white rice, beans and fried ripe plantains.