Cuban Picadillo (Beef Hash)
- 1/4 cup annatto oil (2 tbs annatto powder mixed with 1/4 cup vegetable oil)
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup pimento stuffed green olives, chopped
- 1 tbs capers
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion, bell pepper, garlic, hot pepper until the onion is tender but not browned.
- Add the meat and cook, stirring and breaking it up until it has lost it’s color.
- Add the tomatoes, cumin, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the raisins, mix thoroughly and simmer gently, uncovered until cooked about 20 minutes.
- Add the olives and capers, and cook for a few minutes longer.
- Serve with white rice, beans and fried ripe plantains.