Cuban Ropa Vieja
|2 and 1/2 lbs flank steak|
|1 carrot peeled and sliced|
|1 turnip, peeled and cubed|
|1 leek, chopped|
|2 tbs olive oil|
|1 large onion, minced|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped|
|1 hot red or green pepper, seeded and chopped|
|2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped, about 2 cups|
|1 bay leaf|
|1/8 tsp ground cinnamon|
|salt and black pepper to taste|
|2 canned pimientos, chopped|
|1 tbs capers (optional)|
- Add the beef along with the carrot, turnip, leek in a large saucepan and add with enough water to cover, and simmer gently, covered until it is tender. About 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Allow it to cool sufficiently to handle, then shred. Reserve the stock.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy frying pan and saute the onion, garlic, bell pepper, hot pepper until the onion is tender, but not browned.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, spices, salt and pepper and cook until the sauce is thick and well blended.
- Add 2 cups of the stock in which the steak was cooked, the shredded steak and the pimientos and simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes longer. Add the capers.
- Serve over rice if desired.