Jamaican Jerked Vegetables
- Jerk paste:
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded
- 3 tbs canola oil
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs dried thyme
- 1 tbs ground allspice
- 1 and 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, cut into wedges
- 4 ears corn
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium zucchini cut into quarters and sliced into 4 inch spears
- lime wedges
- To make the jerk paste, combine the scallions, garlic, habanero, canola oil, sugar, soy sauce, thyme, and allspice in a food processor and process until you have a paste.
- Steam the potatoes over boiling water until just tender, about 10-12 minutes. Drain well.
- Prepare a medium hot fire in the grill. We recommend that you use a vegetable grill rack.
- Peel back the husks from the corn and remove the silks.
- Brush the ears with the jerk paste.
- Bring the husks back over the cobs and secure with kitchen twine that has been soaked in water.
- Skewer the onion and cherry tomatoes and brush with the paste.
- Toss the zucchini and potatoes with the remaining paste.
- Grill the vegetables, turning occasionally, until tender and well browned, about 15-20 minutes for the corn, 10 to 15 minutes for the onion, and about 5 minutes for the tomatoes, zucchini and potatoes.
- Remove the vegetables when they are done and keep warm.
- Arrange vegetables on a large platter, garnish with lime wedges, and serve.