Singapore Chicken Rice
|1 whole chicken, about 3 and 1/2 lbs|
|2 scallions, cut into fourths|
|1 tsp sesame oil (for the rice)|
|2 tbs chicken fat or 2 tbs vegetable oil|
|3 garlic cloves, minced|
|1 inch section of ginger, grated|
|2 cups jasmine rice, washed and soaked in cool water for 10 minutes or longer|
|2 cups reserved chicken poaching liquid|
|1/2 tsp sesame oil|
|1 tsp kosher salt for the chili sauce|
|1 tbs lime juice|
|2 tbs reserved chicken poaching broth|
|2 tsp sugar|
|4 tbs sriracha chili sauce|
|4 cloves garlic|
|1 inch piece of ginger|
|extra kosher salt if desired|
|1/4 cup dark soy sauce|
|few sprigs cilantro|
|1 cucumber, thinly sliced|
This is a much loved favorite in Singapore. Chilling the chicken after poaching makes the meat tender and the skin firm and delicious.
- To clean the chicken, with a handful of kosher salt, rub the chicken all over, getting rid of any loose skin.
- Rinse the chicken well, inside and out, then season generously inside and out with salt.
- Stuff the chicken with the ginger slices and scallions.
- Place the chicken in a large stock pot and fill with cold water to cover by 1 inch.
- Bring the pot to a boil over high heat, then immediately turn the heat to low to simmer.
- Cook for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- When the chicken is cooked through, turn off the heat and remove the pot from the burner.
- Immediately lift and transfer the chicken into a ice water bath to cool. discard the ginger and scallions.
- Reserve the poaching liquid for the rice, sauce and soup.
- To cook the rice, drain the soaking liquid.
- In a wok or saucepan heat 2 tbs of the cooking oil over medium high heat. When hot add the ginger and garlic and fry for several minutes to release the flavors. Be careful not to burn.
- Add the drained rice and stir to coat, Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the sesame oil and mix well.
- To make rice on the stove, in the same saucepan add 2 cups of the reserved poaching broth, a little salt, then bring to a boil.
- As soon as liquid comes to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and let rice cook for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes more.
- While rice is cooking, remove the chicken from the ice bath and rub the outside of the chicken with sesame oil, then carve for serving.
- To make the chili sauce, blend the chili sauce ingredients in a blender until smooth and bright red.
- To make the soup, use six or seven cups of the reserved poaching broth, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Serve the chicken rice with chili sauce, soy sauce, cucumber slices and a bowl of hot broth garnished with cilantro and scallions.