Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Pepper Sauce
- 10 scotch bonnet peppers
- 5 carrots
- 2 chayote (available at Latin Stores)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger
- 2 onions
- 10 allspice berries
- oil for frying
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- Peel and chop the carrots, chayote.
- Chop the garlic,peppers, onions and grate the ginger.
- Add a little oil to a frying pan and gently fry the onion for about three minutes.
- Add the chayote, carrot, allspice, garlic and ginger. Fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the pepper and vinegar and fry for another 10 minutes.
- Add ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend into a paste.
- Once the mixture has cooled, press through a wire mesh strainer, separating all the juice from the pulp.
- Transfer sauce to a glass jar and store in the refrigerator.
- Recipe may be doubled or tripled.