Spicy Tuna Hand Rolls
- 4 Thai bird chilies, minced
- 1 tbs fresh ginger
- 1 tbs toasted sesame seeds
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 lb sushi grade tuna, cut into 1/8 inch cubes
- 4 toasted nori sheets, halved lengthwise
- 1 and 1/2 cups Japanese sushi rice, washed and cook according to package directions
- Assorted fillings: sliced scallions, seeded cucumbers, diced, cilantro etc.
- soy sauce for dipping
- wasabi paste for dipping
- Puree the chiles, ginger, sesame seeds, garlic and salt to taste in a food processor until a paste forms.
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, then stir in oil and vinegar. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Add the tuna and toss to coat.
- Toast the nori sheets over a gas flame on the shiny side, then place them on a work surface with the short side facing you.
- Spread about 2 rounded tablespoons of the rice evenly on the bottom third of each nori sheet.
- Divide tuna mixture among rolls, spooning over rice.
- Top with fillings, then roll into cones using a few grains of cooked rice as a glue to seal
- Mix some wasabi along with soy sauce for dipping.