Spicy Tuna Hand Rolls
|4 Thai bird chilies, minced|
|1 tbs fresh ginger|
|1 tbs toasted sesame seeds|
|1 garlic clove, minced|
|kosher salt to taste|
|black pepper to taste|
|1/4 cup canola oil|
|2 tsp sesame oil|
|1 tsp white vinegar|
|1 lb sushi grade tuna, cut into 1/8 inch cubes|
|4 toasted nori sheets, halved lengthwise|
|1 and 1/2 cups Japanese sushi rice, washed and cook according to package directions|
|Assorted fillings: sliced scallions, seeded cucumbers, diced, cilantro etc.|
|soy sauce for dipping|
|wasabi paste for dipping|
- Puree the chiles, ginger, sesame seeds, garlic and salt to taste in a food processor until a paste forms.
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, then stir in oil and vinegar. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Add the tuna and toss to coat.
- Toast the nori sheets over a gas flame on the shiny side, then place them on a work surface with the short side facing you.
- Spread about 2 rounded tablespoons of the rice evenly on the bottom third of each nori sheet.
- Divide tuna mixture among rolls, spooning over rice.
- Top with fillings, then roll into cones using a few grains of cooked rice as a glue to seal
- Mix some wasabi along with soy sauce for dipping.