Wine Braised Chicken
- 1 (3lb) chicken, cut up
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 cups red wine ( we use Pinot Noir)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup Italian plum tomatoes, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 turnip, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbs canola oil
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
In order to prepare this recipe properly you will need a large oven proof dutch oven or a wide deep pan.
- Add a little canola oil to the pan and brown the chicken on all sides. When chicken is browned, remove from pan and set aside
- Add a little more canola oil to the pan, using medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for about 5-8 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the carrots, parsnips and turnips to the pan and saute for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken stock, red wine and parsley to the pan, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the browned chicken pieces on top of the mixture, cover pan and place in a 300 degree oven for 60 to 90 minutes or until chicken has cooked through.