- 3 large ripe bananas
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups ap flour
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbs dark rum
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- vanilla sugar flavored with ground cinnamon
- Peel the bananas and cut into halves lengthwise. Cut each half into 4 equal pieces, and place in a bowl.
- Combine the rum, sugar, and vanilla and pour over the bana slices. Let marinate for about 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- To make the batter, sift the flouor, sugar, salt and baking powder together into a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter, egg, milk and rum, and mix into a smooth paste.
- Let the batter rest until the bananas are ready.
- Dip the banana pieces in the batter, and fry in deep oil heated to 375 degrees until they are golden all over.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with the vanilla sugar.
- Note: To make the vanilla sugar drop a vanilla bean, 1 to 2 inch long into a jar of sugar. Deep the jar tightly closed and add more sugar from time to time as it is used. Add ground cinnamon to taste to the vanilla sugar before sprinkling on the beignets.