Caribbean Conch Stew
|2 lbs fresh conch|
|1/2 cup lime juice|
|3 tbs olive oil|
|2 oz salt pork, cut into 1/2 inch dice|
|Bouquet garni ( parsley, thyme, celery leaves, basil leaves, whole fresh hot pepper, bay leaf tied in cheese cloth)|
|2 cloves garlic|
|2 scallions, green and white parts, chopped|
|1/8 tsp cinnamon|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|Juice of 1 lime|
- Place the conch in the lime juice a let marinate for severall hours.
- Drain, rinse and beat thoroughly to tenderize the conch meat.
- Cut the conch into 1/2 inch pieces and place into a heavy saucepan, cover with water and simmer gently until tender. About 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Cook partially covered during the last half hour of cooking to reduce the liquid.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy covered casserole.
- Add the salt pork, the bouquet garni, garlic, scallions, cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stew gently for 5 minutes, then add the conch, along with it’s cooking liquid.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bouquet garni, add the lime juice and serve.