Caribbean Lobster in Pepper Sauce
- 3 (2lb) lobsters (lobster tails may be substituted)
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 cups sofrito (check search engine for recipe)
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 6 slices bread
- oil for frying
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Set aside the tomalley or coral, if any.
- Remove all the meat from the lobsters and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbs of oil in a heavy frying pan and saute the lobster shells over high heat, turning them constantly until they turn red.
- Transfer the shells to a large saucepan and pour in 2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and cook, covered until the liquid is reduced to 1 cup.
- Pour off most of the oil from the frying pan, add the lobster meat, the sofrito, and the lobster stock.
- Cook covered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice along with the tomalley and coral rubbed through a wire mesh sieve. Cook mixture for 1-2 minutes longer.
- In the meantime, cut the slices of bread into triangles and fry in oil until browned on both sides.
- Transfer the lobster and sauce to a warmed platter with the triangles of fried bread arranged as a decorative border.
- Garnish with parsley.