Caribbean Pumpkin Curry
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 1/4 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbs curry powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb Calabaza pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes (available at latin markets)
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- Heat the oil and butter in a heavy sauce pan, add the bacon, onion and pepper and cook until the onion is soft but not browned.
- Add the curry powder and stir to combine.
- Add the cloves, tomatoes and pumpkin.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir to combine.
- Simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally.
- When the pumpkin is very tender and almost reduced to a puree, stir in the garlic and cook, uncovered for a minute or so longer.