Caribbean Pumpkin Curry
|2 tbs vegetable oil|
|2 tbs unsalted butter|
|1/4 lb bacon, chopped|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped|
|1 tbs curry powder|
|1/4 tsp ground cloves|
|2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|1 lb Calabaza pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes (available at latin markets)|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 large clove garlic, crushed|
- Heat the oil and butter in a heavy sauce pan, add the bacon, onion and pepper and cook until the onion is soft but not browned.
- Add the curry powder and stir to combine.
- Add the cloves, tomatoes and pumpkin.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir to combine.
- Simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally.
- When the pumpkin is very tender and almost reduced to a puree, stir in the garlic and cook, uncovered for a minute or so longer.