Caribbean Pumpkin Soup
- 4 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, minced
- 2 lbs calabaza pumpkin (avilable in Latin stores)
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup light cream
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Dash of Tabasco
- fresh ground nutmeg
- Heat the butter in a large, heavy saucepan and saute the onions until tender, but not browned.
- Pare the pumpkin and remove any seeds and strings, then cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Add the pumpkin and chicken stock, to the saucepan and simmer until the pumpkin is disintegrating. About 45 minutes.
- Cool slightly and place the contents of the saucepan in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Do not over blend.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan, season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cream and Tabasco and reheat gently.
- Sprinkle with a little nutmeg.