Caribbean Pumpkin Soup
|4 tbs unsalted butter|
|2 large onions, minced|
|2 lbs calabaza pumpkin (avilable in Latin stores)|
|5 cups chicken stock|
|1 cup light cream|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|Dash of Tabasco|
|fresh ground nutmeg|
- Heat the butter in a large, heavy saucepan and saute the onions until tender, but not browned.
- Pare the pumpkin and remove any seeds and strings, then cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Add the pumpkin and chicken stock, to the saucepan and simmer until the pumpkin is disintegrating. About 45 minutes.
- Cool slightly and place the contents of the saucepan in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Do not over blend.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan, season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cream and Tabasco and reheat gently.
- Sprinkle with a little nutmeg.