Charred Corn Tomato Steak Fajitas
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1/2 cup ripe tomatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1 and 1/2 tbs cotija cheese, crumbled
- 4 bibb lettuce leaves
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup corn kernals
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 poblano, cut into strips
- Combine garlic, jalapeno, cumin, cilantro, lime juice, sugar and oil in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk until well combined and transfer to a gallon zip lock bag, then add the flank steak and marinate refrigerated for 4 hours.
- Assemble the tomatoes, cheese and lettuce leaves on a platter.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat and place an 8 inch cast iron pan directly on the grill or over side burner and set to medium high heat.
- Remove the steak from the marinate, pat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill steak for 6-8 minutes per side or to desired doneness. Remove and allow steak to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Slice steak across the grain into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Meanwhile, coat the cast iron pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Add the corn, red onion and polbano peppers. Saute for 6-8 minutes or until the corn has char marks and the peppers are tender crisp.
- Coat the corn tortillas with non stick spray, then grill on each side for about 20 seconds.
- Place the sliced steak on the tortillas toped with the corn mixture.