French Onion and Morel Mushroom Soup
- 4 tbs unsalted butter, plus extra for spreading
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 3 red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cups beef stock
- 5 tbs madieria or dry sherry wine
- 8 dried morell mushrooms
- 4 slices French bread
- 1/4 lb Gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- Melt the butter with the oil in a large frying pan, then add the sliced onions and cook over a low heat for 10-15 minutes, until the onions are a rich mahogany brown color.
- Transfer the browned onions to a large pan, pour in the beef stock, add the Madeira or sherry and the dried morels. Simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler to medium and toast the Frech bread on both sides,
- Spread one side with butter and heap with the grated cheese.
- Ladel the soup into four oven proof bowls, float the cheese topped toasts on top and broil until they are crisp and brown and the cheese is bubbling.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.