French Onion and Morel Mushroom Soup
|4 tbs unsalted butter, plus extra for spreading|
|1 tbs vegetable oil|
|3 red onions, thinly sliced|
|4 cups beef stock|
|5 tbs madieria or dry sherry wine|
|8 dried morell mushrooms|
|4 slices French bread|
|1/4 lb Gruyere cheese, grated|
|2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped|
- Melt the butter with the oil in a large frying pan, then add the sliced onions and cook over a low heat for 10-15 minutes, until the onions are a rich mahogany brown color.
- Transfer the browned onions to a large pan, pour in the beef stock, add the Madeira or sherry and the dried morels. Simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler to medium and toast the Frech bread on both sides,
- Spread one side with butter and heap with the grated cheese.
- Ladel the soup into four oven proof bowls, float the cheese topped toasts on top and broil until they are crisp and brown and the cheese is bubbling.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.