Indian Stuffed Bell Peppers
|6 bell peppers (2 red, 2 yellow, 2 orange)|
|1 and 1/4 lbs waxy potatoes|
|1 small onion, chopped|
|5 garlic cloves, minced|
|2 inch piece fresh ginger, chopped|
|2 fresh green or red chilies, seeded and chopped|
|7 tbs water|
|7 tbs peanut oil|
|1 eggplant, peeled and cut int0 1/2 inch dice|
|2 tsp cumin seeds|
|1 tsp nigella seeds|
|1/2 tsp ground turmeric|
|1 tsp ground coriander|
|1 tsp toasted cumin seeds, ground|
|pinch cayenne pepper|
|2 tbs lemon juice|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste2 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish|
- Cut of the top of the peppers and remove the seeds, then cut a thin slice off the base if necessary to make them stand upright.
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil.
- Add the peppers and cook for 5-6 minutes. Drain and leave upside down in a colander.
- Cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 10-12 minutes, until just tender. Drain, cool, peel, then cut into a 1/2 inch dice.
- Put the onion, garlic, ginger and green chilies in a food processor or blender along with 4 tbs of the water and process to a puree.
- Heat 3 tbs of the oil in a large deep frying pan and cook the eggplant over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides.
- Remove the eggplant from the pan and add 2 tbs of oil along with the potatoes and cook until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- If necessary add a little more oil to the pan, then add the cumin and nigella seeds.
- Cook for about a minute then add the turmeric, coriander and ground cumin. Cook for about 15 seconds, then stir in the onion and garlic puree and cook, scraping the pan until it begins to brown.
- Return the potatoes and egg plant to the pan, season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Add the remaining water and 1 tbs of lemon juice and cook, stirring until the liquid evaporates.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Fill the peppers with the potato mixture and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Brush the peppers with a little oil and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the peppers are heated through.
- Let cook then sprinkle with a little more lemon juice.
- Garnish with cilantro.