Italian Panzanella Salad
|4 thick slices day old bread|
|1 small red onion|
|1 lb ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced|
|1/4 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced|
|1 tbs fresh basli, shredded|
|1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|3 tbs balsamic vinegar|
|juice of 1 lemon|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|black olives, pitted and sliced for garnish|
- Dip the bread briefly in a shallow dish of cold water, then carefully squeeze out the excess water.
- Arrange the bread in the base of a shallow salad bowl.
- Thinly slice the onion, then soak the slices in a spearate bowl of cold water for about 10 minutes. This helps reduce the astringency of the onion, so that it does not overpower the other flavors. Drain the onions and reserve.
- Layer the tomatoes, cheese, onion, basil in the salad bowl, seasoning well with salt and pepper between each layer.
- Sprinkle salad with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice.
- Top with olives, then cover with plastic wrap and chill the salad in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight if possible.