- 1 large onion, chopped
- 12-16 lamb kidneys
- 3 medium zucchini
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tsp chopped basil
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 12 black olives
- Skin the kidneys, then cut each one in half and snip out the cores with kitchen scissors. Cut each half in two.
- Chop the onion, slice the zucchini. Skin and roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based frying pan, add the onion and garlic to the pan, then fry gently until soft but not colored. About 5 minutes.
- Add the kidneys and fry over low heat until they change color, about 3 minutes, tossing them frequently.
- Add the zucchini, tomatoes and wine and bring to a simmer, stirring.
- Add the chopped basil and simmer gently until the kidneys are tender. About 8 minutes.
- Add the olives and heat through for about 1-2 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and serve over rice.