Marinated Asparagus and Shrimp
|16 jumbo shrimp|
|16 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed|
|2 tbs olive oil|
|1 garlic clove, peeled|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|4 fresh tarragon sprigs and extra for garnish|
|2 tbs tarragon vinegar|
|1/2 cup olive oil|
- Peel the shrimp, removing the legs and leaving the tails on. Set aside.
- Trim the tough ends of the asparagus, then steam the over a pan of salted water until just tender and still crisp. Refresh under cold water and place in a shallow dish.
- Peel the carrots and cut into fine julienne shreds.
- Cook in a pan of lightly salted boiling water for about 3 minutes until just tender but still crisp. Refresh under cold water.
- Add the carrots to the asparagus.
- To make the dressing/marinade, whisk the tarragon vinegar with the olive oil, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the asparagus and carrots then cover and set aside to marinate.
- Heat the oil with the garlic in a frying pan until very hot.
- Add the shrimp and saute quickly until just heated through, turning once or twice.
- Discard the garlic.
- Arrange four asparagus spears and a quarter of the carrots on each of four individual plates.
- Drizzle over the dressing remaining in the dish a top each portion with 4 shrimp.
- Top with the tarragon sprigs and sprinkle the chopped tarragon on top.