Lamb Burgers with Mint and Cucumber
|1 small onion, minced|
|1 lb ground lamb|
|2 cups fresh breadcrumbs|
|grated rind of 1/2 lemon|
|3 tbs mint, chopped|
|1 egg beaten|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2 tbs flour|
|1 tsp olive oil|
|1//2 English cucumber|
|1 cup beef or lamb stock|
|1 tbs dry sherry|
|mint sprigs for garnish|
- Add the lamb to a bowl along with the onion, breadcrumbs, lemon rind, 1 tbs chopped mint and the egg.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape the mixture into 8 patties with floured hands, then lightly coat the patties with flour, knocking off excess.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan and fry the burgers until lightly browned, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile cut the cucumber into 2 inch long wedges.
- cut the scallions into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add the cucumber and scallions to the pan and saute briefly.
- Pour in the stock and sherry, then add the remaining mint and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer gently until the meat is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Skim off any excess fat before serving and adjust the seasoning.
- Garnish with mint and serve with new potatoes.