Puerto Rican Coconut Cream Sauce
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 6 egg yolks
- slices of sponge cake or lady fingers
This is a deliciously sweet sauce that is known as Bienmesabe in Puerto Rico. It is wonderful spread over lady fingers or pies or cakes.
- Boil the sugar and water together until it forms a syrup at the thread stage.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the coconut milk into the syrup, mixing thoroughly.
- Beat the egg yolks and add them to the mixture, stirring constantly over gentle heat until thickened. Do not let boil.
- To serve, pour over sponge cake or lady fingers.