Puerto Rican Coconut Flan
- 1 and 3/4 cups sugar
- 6 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup freshly grated coconut
This is a delicious coconut custard, full of island flavors.
- Put 1 cup of the sugar into a small heavy saucepan and place it over a medium heat.
- Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon until the sugar carmelizes.
- Have ready a 2 quart porcelain mold warmed with boiling water, and dried.
- Pour the caramel, turning the mold so that the caramel coats the bottom an inch or so of the sides. Set aside.
- Add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar to the eggs.
- Pour the evaporated milk and coconut milk into a saucepan, bring to the scalding point and slowly pour into the egg mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon or wire whisk.
- Add the coconut and pour into the caramelized mold.
- Set the mold in a pan of hot water in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Cool thoroughly and unmold onto a serving platter.
- If any caramel is left in the mold add a little hot water and set the mold on a heat proof mat over medium heat until the caramel dissolves.
- Pour over the custard.