Red Onion and Goat’s Cheese Pastries
|2 tbs olive oil|
|2 lbs red onions, sliced|
|4 tbs fresh thyme|
|2 tbs balsamic vinegar|
|1 lb frozen puff pastry, thawed|
|1 cup goat cheese, cubed|
|2 eggs, beaten|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|fresh thyme sprigs for garnish|
|mixed salad leaves and cherry tomatoes to serve|
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the sliced red onions and cook over a gentle heat for about 10 minutes, or until softened. Do not brown.
- Add the thyme, seasoning and balsamic vinegar and cook the onions for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove the frying pan from the heat and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Unroll the puff pastry and using a 6 inch plate as a guide, cut out 8 equal rounds.
- Place the pastry rounds on a dampened baking sheets and using the point of a sharp knife score a border, 3/4 inch inside the edge of each round.
- Divide the onions among the pastry rounds and top with the cubes of goat’s cheese.
- Brush the edge of each round with beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Garnish with the fresh thyme, and serve with salad leaves and tomatoes.