Roasted Tomatoes Stuffed with Mozzarella
|4 large ripe tomatoes|
|1/2 lb fresh mozzarella, chopped|
|1 cup fresh breadcrumbs|
|1/4 cup chopped basil|
|4 tbs extra virgin olive oil, divided|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|extra basil and butter lettuce leaves for garnish|
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut a 1/4 inch slice from the top end of each of the tomatoes, then scoop out the insides.
- Chop the pulp, then place into a bowl.
- Mix the pulp with 1/2 lb of the fresh mozzarella, the bread crumbs, the basil and 2 tbs of the olive oil.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper and combine well.
- Stuff the tomatoes with the mixture and place the reserved slices on top, then drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
- Place the tomatoes in a greased, foil lined baking pan and roast for 30 minutes.
- Place a butter lettuce on each of 4 platters and top with a tomato and garnish with additional basil leaves.