Sausage and Bean Casserole
- 1/2 lb onions, chopped
- 1/2 lb carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb polish sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (16oz) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16oz) can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16oz) can of Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 1 and 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Fresh herb leaves for garnish (sage, basil or parsley etc.)
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan, then add the onions and carrots and saute for about 4 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add the garlic.
- Add the sausage rounds and fry until evenly browned.
- Add the kidney beans and chickpeas along with the tomatoes to the pan. Using a potato masher, break up the tomatoes slightly.
- Add the tomato paste, and mix to combine.
- Blend the cornstarch with a little of the stock, then add to the pan along with the remaining stock.
- Bring to a boil, cover and place in a preheated 325 degree oven for about 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and place in a serving dish and garnish with fresh parsley and sage leaves.