Smoked Trout Pasta Salad
- 1 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 cup fennel bulb, minced
- 6 spring onions, 2 minced and the rest sliced
- 1/2 lb smoked trout, skinless and flaked
- 3 tbs fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbs whipping cream
- 4 cups small pasta shells
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- fresh dill sprigs for garnish
- Melt the butter in a small pan and add the fennel and minced spring onions and cook for 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl to cool slightly.
- Add the sliced spring onions, trout, dill mayonnaise, lemon juice and cream.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then gently mix well.
- Cook the pasta shells according to package directions, drain and let cool.
- Add the pasta to the vegetables and trout mixture and toss to coat evenly.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.