Spanish Garlic Soup
|2 tbs olive oil|
|4 large cloves garlic|
|4 slices French bread, 1/4 inch thick|
|1 tbs paprika|
|4 cups beef stock|
|1/2 tsp ground cumin|
|pinch saffron threads|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|fresh parsley, chopped for garnish|
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the whole garlic cloves and cook over a low heat until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the bread to the pan and cook on both sides until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the paprika to the pan and cook for a few seconds, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the beef stock, cumin and saffron, then add the reserved fried garlic, crushing the cloves with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste, then cook over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into four individual ovenproof bowls and gently break an egg into each one.
- Place the slices of fried French bread on top of the eggs and place the bowls in the oven for about 3-4 minutes, or until the eggs just set.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley to garnish and serve.