Sweet Potato Cake
|2 lbs sweet potatoes|
|2 tbs unsalted butter|
|3/4 cup dark brown sugar|
|1/4 cup dark rum|
|1/4 cup raisins|
|1/2 cup milk|
|zest from 1 lime|
|1 tbs lime juice|
|1/2 tsp nutmeg|
|1/2 tsp cinnamon|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|2 tsp baking powder|
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes and cook with enough water to cover until tender. About 25 minutes.
- Drain and mash.
- While still warm mix in the butter, sugar and rum.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the milk, raisins, grated zest and lime juice.
- Sift together the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking powder and mix well into the sweet potatoes.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9×5 loaf pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour in a preheated 350 degree oven.
- Let cool for a few minutes in the pan then turn onto cake rack to cool.