Thai Fish Cakes with Cucumber Relish
|1 lb white fish fillets (cod works well)|
|2 tbs Thai red curry paste|
|2 tbs fish sauce|
|1 tsp sugar|
|2 tbs cornstarch|
|3 kaffir lime leaves, shredded|
|1 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped|
|2 oz green beans, thinly sliced|
|canola oil for frying|
|Arugula for garnish|
- To make the cucumber relish, bring the vinegar, water and sugar to the boil. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Combine the rest of the relish ingredients together in a bowl and pour the vinegar mixture over.
- Combine the fish, curry paste and egg in a food processor and process until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add the Thai fish sauce, sugar, cornstarch, lime leaves, cilantro and green beans and mix well.
- Mould and shape the mixture into patties about 2 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick.
- Heat the oil in a wok of deep fryer.
- Add the fish cakes, in small batches and deep fry for about 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Garnish with arugula and a little cucumber relish spooned on the side.