|2 egg yolks|
|1 and 1/4 cups vegetable oil|
|2 tbs lemon juice|
|1 tsp Dijon mustard|
|1 tbs gherkins, chopped|
|1 tbs capers, chopped|
|2 tbs Italian parsley, chopped|
|2 tbs fresh chives, chopped|
|1 tsp fresh tarragon, chopped|
This is the way authentic tartar sauce is really prepared.
- Whisk the egg yolks and a pinch of salt, then whisk in the oil, adding it a drop at a time, then when half the oil is incorporated add it in a slow thin stream whisking constantly
- Stop when the mayonnaise is thick.
- Whisk 1 tbs of the lemon juice, then add a little more oil.
- Stir in the mustard, gherkins, capers, parsley, chives and tarragon.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt and lemon juice if desired.