Apple Brandy Steamed Onions
- 16 pearl onions
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbs apple brandy
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sugar
- kosher salt to taste
- In a small sauce pan of water boil the unpeeled onions for 3 minutes.
- Rinse in cold water and drain.
- cut off the end of each onion, then squeeze off the skin.
- Place the onions in a single layer in a steamer dish and place over simmering water.
- Cover and steam until onions are easily pierced, then remove from steamer basket.
- Pour liquid from pan and wipe dry with paper towels.
- In the dried pan, combine broth and brandy, then stir in cornstarch and sugar until smooth.
- Season lightly with salt.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Stir until mixture thickens to a smooth glaze, then pour over the onions.